Friday, April 13, 2007

The Jolly Green Giant's Dish



The Jolly Green Giant's Dish

The month is April and the farmer's market is starting to brim with the delicious produce grown here in California.
So today I went there and bought 6 pounds of asparagus. I could not wait to go home and make Cream of Asparagus Soup.


Here are the pictures and the recipe. Enjoy!!!

I doubled the recipe so as to give some to my Mom and to freeze for later use. It makes a mighty pot full!!!


Cream of Asparagus Soup
3-4 pounds asparagus
3 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped (I never skimp on these-more is always better)
1 clove garlic, minced ( ok, so I put in about 5)
1/8 cup basil (fresh is best if possible)
6 cups of chicken broth
(Now I did not have enough broth from the chicken so I used the water from steaming the asparagus- I recommend this even if you do have enough)
1 cup of half and half (milk will do to)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Steam the asparagus, cut into 2 inch slices reserving some tips
2. Saute onion in oil for 5 minutes over medium hear. Add the garlic and basil and continue cooking until garlic is tender. Add flour and 1/2 cup of broth , making a roux. Add remaining asparagus. Simmer for one hour. (I was running late so I shortened that to 1/2 hour.)
3. Blend soup in blender. Return to soup pot, add cream and heat thoroughly. Place in bowls and garnish with reserved asparagus tips.
You will not find taste like this in a can.
Yields 8-10 servings

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Click Here For Quick Connect to EBAY
Visit my storehttp://bluefrog.blujay.com
Buy and Sell Online : Bargain Finder Online: Classifieds Online: Stuff For Sale By Owner Locally Or Around The World
Videos by annabelle
More VMIX videos | View more Family videos | Embed this video