Thursday, December 21, 2006

Tomato ,Basil and Aha!! This is good!!!


This time of year we live on fresh tomatoes, mozzarella and basil from our garden or the farmer’s market.
The mozzarella we buy at Costco. I like the large egg size that comes in the big tubs. A tub will last us a couple of weeks depending on how often my girls ask for slices to snack on. Personally, I think this is the same mozzarella that you buy in gourmet stores that are sold individually at twice the per pound rate. Or you can buy the Buffalo milk mozzarella. Quite a treat.
Where we do indulge is with the oil and balsamic vinegar. I like to use the best extra virgin olive oil and aged balsamic vinegar I can afford. You use it sparingly, especially the balsamic vinegar, so why not treat yourself to something great. You don’t want to overpower the incredible flavors of the fresh tomatoes and basil so a little goes a long way.
You can find great extra virgin olive everywhere but they are not all the same. Each producer of fine virgin olive oil will create it with a unique taste and I recommend you go to a store where they will let you sample various oils to find the one you like.
The one I am very fond of is from Giorgio Zampa, a Tuscan style olive oil made on the small island of Sardinia off the coast of Italy. The oil is made with Bosana olives that are grown on the island, harvested when ripe and cold pressed within hours of picking.

The balsamic vinegar I use is incredible but expensive. I like their 20-year Padroni balsamic vinegar. It’s over a $100 per bottle but lasts me well over a year so figure less than $9.00 per month. So I don’t buy a couple of lattes each month.
A much better buy is the Giusti 12 year balsamic or the Giusti 10 year old balsamic. These too are not cheap when compared to the price you are used to in the supermarket but there is no comparison when it comes to flavor. Side by side, the cheap stuff tastes like sugar water.
The cost is over $50 bucks but you get 250 ml of complex aged balsamic vinegar rather than the 100 ml you get with the 20 year Padroni. Is there a difference? Of course, but dollar for dollar, the 10 & 12 year olds are a great buy.
Preparing the Tomatoes, Mozzarella & Basil
I don’t remember if I saw this dish presented this way in a cookbook, magazine or on a web site but it looked like a great way to serve them so we gave it a try. In the past I would just slice the tomato & mozzarella and layer it with the basil by fanning it out on a plate.
This method of cutting the tomato whole and slipping in the mozzarella and basil makes it much more elegant.I will bring many compliments at your dinner parties. To dress it, I just sprinkle some of the extra virgin olive oil over the tomatoes (I use the thumb over the end of the bottle technique) and a few drops of balsamic vinegar (using the same technique) and season it with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
Garnish with a sprig of basil (home grown of course) and you are done. This is summer staple in our house so give it a try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Click Here For Quick Connect to EBAY
Visit my storehttp://bluefrog.blujay.com
Buy and Sell Online : Bargain Finder Online: Classifieds Online: Stuff For Sale By Owner Locally Or Around The World
Videos by annabelle
More VMIX videos | View more Family videos | Embed this video